Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Sleep is like your mechanic!

Sleep is a huge part of our lives. When we sleep we dream, renew ourselves, get refreshed, and REPAIR!

The body was created with such wisdom and precision that it knows the most efficient times to repair itself is when the body is at rest - not moving, not thinking - just being. It is because the body uses our sleep time to make major repairs that the amount of sleep is VERY important. 

Think of your body like a car and sleep like a mechanic. Consider this transaction you may have with your mechanic:

You:
"I need an oil change, a tire rotation, a coolant flush, and oh can you please replace the water pump? By the way I need this all done in 1 hour because I have a busy day ahead. I really don't feel it should take any longer"

Your Mechanic: 
"So let me get this straight... you're asking me to do all this but yet only giving me an hour? I might be able to do the flush and the oil change, but the rest will have to wait till you feel like you have more time."

Here is the crazy thing: Our body has a list of things it needs to repair while we sleep and we often tell our body that we just don't feel like we have enough time to allow it to make the repairs. Seems a little odd huh? 

I could probably find a bunch of studies or links for you to support this analagy, but I will not. One thing I am realizing is that when it comes to health that common sense is supreme!

G'night! 


No comments:

Post a Comment